Monday, November 28, 2011

Prayer & a movie

Nobody wanted to lead. They quickly surrendered their hands in the air and pleaded “Not me!” The consensus asked to wait for an official person, meaning one whose company nametag spelled out “CHAPLAIN.” The prevailing reluctance to pray caught me off guard because a prayer by one of us regular folk can be just as valid and effective as the clergy’s. Speaking as someone who’s served a few times on church staffs, I attest to my staff-dom itself not suddenly putting me closer to God. And then last night in the movie Have a Little Faith, which I did enjoy very much, one character initially felt unworthy of writing a eulogy for a rabbi who served his congregation for 40+ years. Yet many people not employed as ministers in churches, hospitals, or the military also devote decades to knowing and following the Lord. I respect them all the same—with or without an official nametag. So what is our view of pastors, priests, and those who wear “the cloth”?  As a fellow Christian, I’m grateful for their love of God and for their positions of service. Still the Lord gives us a whole world to impact, and we don’t have to wait till we’re on the payroll to pray and serve freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment