Thursday, November 10, 2011

A visitor of patients – possibly

I wasn’t too thrilled about this meeting.  I loved our years of playing and singing music on the third floor, but it seemed that season at the hospital had ended.  I love the Volunteer Coordinator who invited me to the meeting, but was there really a role for me anymore?  Last week when a friend suggested I inquire, her words carried a sensation that intrigued me—maybe that intangible, inexplicable sensation that the Lord sometimes imposes to compel us to follow through.  So I drove to the annual meeting of volunteers.  And as I crossed the threshold of our meeting room, the blessings began to pour.  Of particular interest was a lady who spoke of her role as a Patient Visitor.  For 6 years, she visited patients to offer magazines and conversation.  Instantly a chorus of bells and whistles started to sound in my head, and my heart fluttered to envision myself in the same role.  Could I also be a Patient Visitor?  Being severely ill and away from home could easily render a patient just plain sad, and I’d love the opportunity to brighten someone’s day.  I have another meeting next week, and I don’t want to jump ahead of prayer, but my eyes are watchful for confetti and curly-cues showering on the horizon.  My pointy party hat is ready.  Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment