Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Traversing the ice

This past Saturday, I closed my eyes as we drove into Winter Storm Dion.  At 20 mph, maybe 30, the quiet helped my husband to drive, and I hoped to shut out anything that would make me gasp.  We checked weather reports via radio and TV and online, though it was worse than we foresaw.  Traveling 35W to Fort Worth, we met bridges untreated with sand or salt, and the first time the car slid, we knew we were in for an anxious ride.  My desperation led to prayer, as all we could see was a white horizon strewn with stranded vehicles.  Will there be less ice on the next bridge?  Should we exit the highway, but what if the access road is worse?  I asked the Lord to take hold of our steering wheel and guide all the miles ahead.  Just when Hemphill Street looked promising, we found thicker ice downtown and wondered if we’d ever escape colliding with all the parked cars and pedestrians.  For hours and hours afterward, I still felt rattled.  All I knew was to call upon the Lord.  All my moments feeling out of control were accurately just that.  Life became simpler, less complicated, and God was my sole intent.  It’s one way I’ve seen Him bring good out of bad.  Never knew how happy I’d be when the sun shone on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment