Monday, May 30, 2011

Singing from the depths

Something new happened when our jail choir rehearsed one particular weekend.  The voices resonated so fully that my feet tingled.  I had to curl my toes to make sure the nerves in my feet were still working.  The lyrics of “I Will Rise” suggested such love and yearning for the Lord that the moment left me almost numb.  And I love to relive this wonderful experience that happened in a jail--a place that some say encompasses the darkest darkness.  So how is it that God brings good from bad?  Why are thousands of inspiring songs rooted in misery and heartache?  What about the spirituals sung in the midst of slavery?  Do people sing to help pass the time?  Or is it because singing can replace anxiety?  Ultimately, God loves to rescue us.  At our lowest low may be the time we’re willing to look up to Him.  The rest of the time we tend to frolic through life on our own terms.  Last summer, my husband and I found ourselves in a huge legal mess that we didn’t understand, yet because of this mess, we sought the Lord fervently.  We wouldn’t have chosen the circumstances for ourselves, but the result of holding close to the Lord was a blessing all the same.  It’s from that low point, at that time when life looks desperately bleak, that our view becomes more simplistic.  Movies and electronic gadgets don’t satisfy anymore.  Our perspective has trimmed down to life, death, bread, and water.  We’re forced to ponder and pray and wait on the Lord.  Our lowest lows are not altogether bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment