Sunday, October 24, 2010

If I could only get some sleep . . .

I continued to wake up in the middle of the night and early in the mornings.  My attempts to take afternoon naps were to no avail.  A recent health problem further depleted my energy.  My body ached, and ibuprofen did not help.  I wanted to sleep, but I couldn’t.  This time, the rest I needed would not come in the form of sleep.  I continued to write, I continued to volunteer at the jail, and I still led Bible study and went to work.  I spent time with new friends, felt inspired to cook dinner more than usual, and found myself with unexpected energy to encourage someone else in the Lord.  Whereas I had been waking up in the mornings desperately preoccupied with figuring how I could get some sleep again, I now realized the Lord was energizing me as I continued to move.  I felt like I was running on empty, yet He rejuvenated me with the excitement that came with the different situations.  He gave me such joy that it sometimes overflowed through teardrops that also relieved my aches.  In this instance, instead of sleep, the Lord gave His version of on-the-job replenishment.  I had wanted sleep, though He wanted to show me something new.  His ways are higher than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment