Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Moved beyond dialysis

Lately my body has felt on the edge of collapse.  My bones have ached all over.  One Saturday I came close to falling asleep at the steering wheel, and it was scary to imagine what could’ve happened at highway speed.  I determined then to quit driving, I sought a new doctor, who in turn ordered some blood tests, and my eyes have viewed life a little differently ever since.  As I’ve sat at home and pondered much, the sweet face of my friend who deals with dialysis has come to mind.  Her uncomplaining smile speaks volumes for having found contentment in the Lord.  Longstanding frailty has not imprisoned her; rather it has served to blossom in her an amazing testimony.  A failed kidney transplant, any kind of steady job interrupted, many physical freedoms long gone, and still she radiates a gracious spirit.  Her fatigue continues, as do her hospital stays, yet her presence exudes testimony to the Lord’s strength within.  Three days a week she pulls open the door to the dialysis clinic, and when she arrives home afterward, it's like having worked a full-time job.  This week the notion hit me to prepare her a care package, and I trust that the Lord gave the idea.  A computer search of gift suggestions for dialysis patients turned up a sizable list, and I found immense joy in hoping to brighten her day.  A fun striped blanket, some cute colorful socks, new crossword puzzles, and some Skittles candy.  A small gesture in comparison, yet pure delight to anticipate giving.  Had the Lord not allowed my sickness and these days of immobility at home, I wouldn’t have the new insight for offering prayer on my friend's behalf.  May the Lord bless her, and you, dear reader, and those opportunities when He uses us to inspire each other.  My car may sit idle, but my heart has been moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment