Thursday, November 15, 2012

A trio of piano questions

Question #1:  A friend asked me, “Do you want to play piano accompaniments for some band students?”  Answer:  “Yes.”  And in fact, playing piano that first year led to playing multiple years.  In the process, I was blessed to find friendship with the band director and have fun interacting with the students and encouraging them.  Question #2:  Years later, this same band director asked me, “Do you want to substitute for my piano classes at the college?”  Answer:  “Yes.”  This was my first occasion to teach group piano, and it acquainted me with the community college’s children’s program that I hadn’t known existed.  Question #3:  One year later, this same band director asked, “Would you be interested in teaching the piano classes permanently?”  Answer:  “Wow.”  A flash of amazement led me to pause.  I retraced how one set of piano accompaniments had put this whole scenario in motion.  I remember praying with each step for the Lord to show whether I should accept or decline.  What I knew as joy for single events in single years had now multiplied for seeing how He had been orchestrating the larger picture all along.  Jeremiah 10:23 says, “…a man’s life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.”  And now having finished the quite lengthy application process and formal interview, I look forward to January and the families I'll meet and the next step the Lord will direct for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment