Thursday, September 20, 2012

A plea from within HEB

Money was tight.  Chemo and radiation had cost thousands upon thousands already.  She’d endured all shapes and sizes of medical procedures.  Now that she was somewhat recuperated, my friend had been applying for jobs, but to no avail.  This particular day called for a trip to the local HEB grocery store.  Whether contemplating chicken or hamburger, or choosing between sliced bread and tortillas, my friend debated the purchase of each item.  Pressure mounted, as she knew her shopping list usually tallied $200, though her purse held $40 less this time.  It was the culmination of all kinds of anxiety.  Finally she pleaded, “Lord, You know how much money I have.  I’ll grab what I think I need, and if it’s too much at the cash register, I’ll just return some.”  So she pushed her basket up and down the aisles, pulling from the shelves what she thought best and looking for the Lord’s peace in the process.  The cashier’s conveyor belt fed each item toward the scanner.  Total = $160 exactly!  I can still see the thrill in her eyes from when she retold the story last weekend.  In her weariness, she had called upon the Lord.  He’d been with her through all the physical agony, and He was with her still now.  For this child whom He loves dearly, and for her husband, her daughters, and her mom, His light shined brightly. 

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story of faith and trust. I love HEB because I can save money, but I love HEB more because of the corporate "heart". Does your friend need help with anything? Can people donate to help her with treatments or anything else? If so, please let us know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dayna, what a blessing already that you pose the idea of donation. I'm not sure what's the best way to connect on this. Anyone interested can email me at lmontez01@juno.com. I notice you have a blog, so perhaps I can contact you there. I don't want to neglect anyone's generosity, as certainly my friend has had all kinds of medical and surgical expenses and pending car repairs. Many, many thanks again.
      Linda

      Delete