Thursday, March 15, 2012

The vehicle of music

She sat a few rows back. I stood at the piano in front, looking out across the congregation while still listening to the sermon. Here at the end of the worship service, most everyone’s eyes were fixed upon the preacher. Her eyes had drifted my way, and without knowing her name, I was very happy for us to meet as we did. I smiled, and so did she. It was opportunity to welcome her to our church. Over the years, I’ve asked the Lord to be my music teacher, and He has shown His purposes to be more than musical. Though He has wonderfully stretched my fingers to play notes and chords I didn’t think possible, music has not been simply an end product. More often music has been a vehicle to deliver something else. Last Sunday with our study group, I shared a story that posed the question, “What would this world be like if no one cared who got credit for what they did?” Many in the group suddenly stopped what they were doing, whether sitting or standing, to ponder. The story fit with the song we planned to sing, and I sang the first verse, only to notice the effects of the question still lingering throughout the room. People remained quiet to think. Our group had asked my husband and me to lead music, long before we ever knew we'd retell that story.  Music had served as the vehicle for delivering the story, just as my standing at the piano allowed me to welcome a girl from across the room. I’ve seen the Lord use a simple, little melody to set a deeply thought-provoking tone. Other times He’s used a laughable clunker of a note to ease someone’s burden. In infinite ways, He uses music—for the sake of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment