Friday, February 24, 2012

Upon an ordinary sidewalk

What wonderful blessings were beheld this week upon an ordinary sidewalk.  An early blessing came in the form of a woman who asked me to pray for her stomach pain and for her husband to stop drinking and smoking.  She had walked from down the street and evidently perceived us on the sidewalk as approachable, and I was glad to oblige, also inquiring of her, “Do you know Jesus Christ?”  Her reply: “Yes,” and she talked about returning next week for us to meet again.  Soon an ice cream vendor with his push-cart entered the clinic parking lot and paused to face the building.  He eventually moved to the middle of the lot and finally to the far driveway, pausing in each place to face the clinic.  Perhaps he was praying also.  Even just the idea made my heart leap.  Then a taxi driver neared our curb and slowed to give a thumbs-up, saying through his open window, “Keep up the good work.”  Toward the end of my stay, I noticed a lady sitting in her car directly in front of the clinic, with her foot hanging outside the open door while she talked on the phone.  I began to wonder.  “Lord, why is she there?  Is she having second thoughts?  Is she wavering?  May You bless her to know Your love.  May she choose Life.  May You protect her from entering the doors of this abortion clinic.”  By now, I explained to my fellow pray-ers that I would be heading home.  Yet suddenly I turned back, having heard these panicked words, “I don’t know what to do!”  It was the lady from the car now exclaiming as she approached our group.  One pray-er pointed the lady to our trained counselor.  I kept walking, but out of curiosity, I peeked back again to see the lady still engaged in conversation.  Driving past the clinic a couple of minutes later, I noticed her and her car both gone.  It seemed she quickly left the premises, and I rejoiced in the hope that Life was saved.  Such an inspiring first occasion to walk this street and pray for the Lord to prevent abortions from happening inside this "clinic."  A day filled with friendly car honks of support.  A day of prayer to which I felt called.

No comments:

Post a Comment