Friday, February 10, 2012

Christ's audible prayer

My email inbox contained a quote from Robert Murray McCheyne:  “If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies.”  This one sentence is boggling my brain at the moment.  I consider the idea of Jesus in my house, sitting at the foot of my bed, ready to accompany me in prayer.  My feeble mind wanders a bit to imagine Him in my kitchen, opening the refrigerator.  Humorously I wonder whether He’d slap together a sandwich with mayonnaise or opt for the product of those mustard seeds He talks about.  And I rethink that if He were in my living room, would I suddenly pick up the tufts of cat fur spotted around the carpet?  But then soberly, I consider the power of His voice.  What a trembling reverence I envision upon hearing Him say my name.  Even just the idea is almost unfathomable, and I’m not certain my body could contain the size of His blessing.  The enormity of His love could bend my knees, maybe even spontaneously buckle them, as they’ve never withstood first-handedly such a wonder-filled physical presence.  Overall it is a picture of actuality, for indeed Christ is here.  He prays for those He loves.  By Isaiah 53:12 He has prayed for sinners all, and by Romans 8:34 He is actively praying for us today.  Years ago He walked this earth in our human form, and now still He walks with me in San Antonio and with you in your hometown.  All the while, His perfect love drives out our humanly crippling fears.  His love girds us, as no being or circumstance can instill a fear that Christ's love cannot thwart.  And to read the Bible, to be with Him and meditate and marvel, indeed we are blessed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment