Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fifteen miles

I knew something was different when I saw the list of emergency numbers.  I had expected blood and guts on this trip.  I knew South Texas was hunting ground for deer and hogs.  I knew we had driven south for hours.  Yet only when I saw the phone number for the Border Patrol at the top of the emergency list, did our proximity to the Mexico border finally register in my brain.  I thought of all the news reports of people trying to illegally cross the border.  What’s it like to run for your life?  Fast.  Panicked.  Maybe in the dark of night.  And maybe running without shoes, as our friends told stories of finding stray shoes out amongst the cactus-filled, arid land, now 15 miles from the border.  I imagined the faces of exhausted people, probably scratched and bloodied and burned.  Whom had they trusted?  Who would deliver them?  I have never physically run for my life, but I have endured days when the walls of life seemed to cave in on me.  Trusting the Lord for a way out is not a loose trust.  The Lord provides the most reliable trust.  He is omniscient.  He loves His children and answers their prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment