Thursday, January 4, 2018

A different optometry

I love surprises like this.  No ordinary appointment today.  Having become suspicious of some blurry vision, I visited the optometrist.  Asking him how he’d been doing, I learned about his dad’s health, which prompted a story of his dad’s life that included the Korean War.  What an inspiration to hear of this man’s care of people and love of life, though now very weak and ill of health.  The optometrist offered an earnest request for prayer, to which I was honored to respond.  So there in the office, we prayed together.  We prayed aloud.  We encountered some tearful moments that don’t enter every optometric visit.  The Lord bestowed a tender vulnerability with purpose above and beyond any physical ailment of my eyes.  The larger need involved more of a spiritual optometry, you might say.  First Peter 3:15 tells us, “. . . Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have . . .”  This day I was called to answer in prayer, sharing encouragement and our hope that is Christ.  For you, I ask the Lord to let you experience the joy of His surprises.  May He give new awareness of His purposes for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment