Friday, August 18, 2017

Hospital's inquisitive boy

“He’s cool!  I wanna get my degree and be a PT!”  Those words I heard from an adventurous boy.  Evidently his grandfather’s physical therapist made a favorable impression.  And while not every seventh-grader would appear undaunted in a large medical facility, this boy was actually enjoying the hospital’s open roads.  Navigating the elevators and making trips to the lobby and onward to the gift shop, even asking me directly about my role as a volunteer, he queried with earnest interest, “Are you here every day?”  I answered, “Just one day a week here, but I volunteer at other places too.”  I mentioned how he could become a volunteer as a high school student in just 2 years, adding “My daughter even found a job at a hospital by volunteering first.  You can volunteer at all kinds of places, in the day and at night.  My husband and I had fun volunteering at a music festival recently, and then we got concert tickets for free.”  With that, his eyes bounced wide with excitement, saying “I wanna do that!”  I continued, “I pray for the Lord to lead me each day.  I ask Him to lead me where to be, what to do, what to say.  He makes the connections.  He takes care of everything.”  Then we paused.  “Do you know Jesus?” I inquired.  And the boy nodded his head affirmatively.  It was an intriguing conversation and such a highlight of the day for me.  First Peter 3:15 tells us, “. . . Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. . .”  In this case, how amazingly did the Lord connect an inquisitive boy and a hospital volunteer to encourage them both in His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment