Sunday, April 2, 2017

Prayer for a song

One Friday, my friend prayed, “Lord, if it would please You, would you have Linda bring ‘Give Me Jesus’ tomorrow?”  My precious friend simply asked for a song.  The next morning, about 50 of us gathered from different parts of the city, both near and far.  Food had been purchased and carefully apportioned into brown paper bags, just eager to supply for anyone’s need.  Clothes had been donated, now hung on the racks and placed neatly on the shelves.  Among givers and recipients, we awaited the Holy Spirit to unite us.  Guests signed in.  Smiles were offered, with prayers ascending all the while.  My husband lifted his guitar from the case and strummed his first chord.  I can’t say my voice sang too well because I’ve been dealing with a throat problem, but my heart surely sang.  As we came upon "Give Me Jesus," I felt my heart leap.  To look into my friend’s eyes, having learned that she’d prayed for us to bring it, my heart and my whole body felt wonderfully full.  Remembering how my husband and I sat on the couch the night before and selected songs, completely unaware of our friend's prayer at the time, I realized the Lord was uniting giver and recipient then too.  Such thrill and such humility washes over.  His gifts are simple, yet immense.  And my blessing in all this was even somewhat tangential to my friend’s initial prayer.  James 1:17 says, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”  Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment