Saturday, April 30, 2016

TurboTax

Taxes.  What to do?  Where in TurboTax do you enter this one last tortuous number?  That was us in our living room a couple of weeks ago.  Frustration rising.  On the verge of screaming.  And actually TurboTax has been good to us.  But somehow this year we had one spot of trouble related to foreign tax.  Noticing my husband's anxiety about to erupt, I inquired, “Have you asked the Lord?”  His answer:  “No.”  So I prayed.  “Lord, help!  Please point us to the section we need in order to finish these taxes.”  And then we kept hunting.  Not here.  Not there.  Check again.  Still not here.  Still not there.  A gruff mumbling burdened the room.  But then an interruption.  I looked up to a stunning glow upon my husband’s face.  A radiant beam of relief, of immense thanks, almost unbelief.  That seemingly endless string of computer clicks and searching all around had now sorted.  It was solved.  Finished.  The Lord had shown us where to enter that last number.  And there my knee hit the floor to offer Him a truly huge thank-you.  How easily any of us can fall into the danger of tackling a task on our own.  Then when the unexpected problem hits, we sink into feeling weary, leaving us blinded from inviting the Lord's presence.  And so I am humbled by this experience with our taxes.  And I wonder too for your sake, how does this story translate?  Are you facing a problem?  Some kind of dreaded task staring you down?  I encourage you to seek the Lord.  Proverbs 19:23 says, “The fear of the Lord leads to life:  then one rests content, untouched by trouble.”

No comments:

Post a Comment