Monday, April 14, 2014

At the library conference

Just show up.  That’s the first step.  If we talk ourselves out of that, we lose any chance of seeing what God had in mind.  Two years ago, I showed up for a theater audition.  Community theater decided to let me play an annoying nurse, and that led to my part-time role now with a touring group that serves schools and libraries.  This past Thursday, I took a turn manning our booth at a library conference, and lo and behold, look what happens.  A librarian visits our booth and asks, “So how did you get into theater?”  Answer: God.  That night I attended a sketching class at our local library.  Still wearing my theater shirt and cap, the girl next to me asked, “So how did you get into theater?”  Answer: God.  And each time, my heart leaped.  With each occasion, I was humbled to realize I would’ve never known those sweet moments if I hadn’t have shown up for that first audition years ago.  “Lord, lead me.  Set my feet in motion.”  I relied on Psalms 37, 94, 121, and all those verses that say He won’t let our feet slip, all leading up to gleefully and giddily getting to answer somebody’s simple question, “So how did you get into theater?”  He makes the day much more than hosting a theater booth.  He shines His light upon a sketching class for it to become an opportunity to encourage.  But the first step is to show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment