Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Into heaven, my gracious friend

Today I celebrate.  Today I love the life of my friend who battled an ailing liver.  Again and again I look at her photo in my kitchen and replay her video on the computer, and I catch myself standing motionless for long moments, relishing all the memories.  I remember days of studying the Bible in our houses, and I still have handwritten notes from the day we studied at Chick-fil-A.  I remember the time she read over the mic at the coffeehouse a story she wrote, and I remember she loved the tortilla soup at the Mexican restaurant down the street.  I remember driving her to the infusion clinic and sitting with her and being so happy that she could enjoy Cracker Barrel on the way home.  When she needed the coziness of her favorite blankets, we prayed at her house.  Among her many rooms in the hospital, we prayed too, though sometimes her medications caused her to fade, but I still held her hand.  She traveled the hospital from the regular rooms to the wound care area, to the telemetry section, and to the many different floors that I don’t remember exactly.  So outwardly grateful she was for her doctors and nurses, and she entertained the thought of gathering her hospital friends for a cookout and a time of music and worship one day, once they would all be home.  After enduring a terribly persistent infection one time, she told me how the Lord gave an amazing peace that led her through, and so I took some pointy party hats to her room for us to celebrate.  More recently, her faint voice could hardly convey over the phone.  My last hospital visit, she was not in her room, so on her bed tray I left a card with a picture of a cat that looked like her black-and-white Ziggy.  Since she passed on Sunday morning, I have cried in joy for having known such a wonderful witness for the Lord.  She had hoped for a liver transplant that never happened.  Yet now she is free from pain.  The Lord has wiped all the tears from her eyes, and she dwells with Him now in a new way.  Revelation 21 speaks of heaven and the Holy City of gold, where there will be no darkness because the Lord’s glory will shine always.  All will be new.  My sweet friend now experiences eternally the grandest party of all, and I thank the Lord for sharing His sweet child and inspiring me through her.

No comments:

Post a Comment