Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fragmented, useful, & in perfect time

The timing was impeccable. All the postponements held their own human reasons, but now each was revealing the larger purpose of God. Only on this particular Sunday would the missionaries to Nicaragua be sitting with us on our back 2 rows. Exciting already was seeing the Lord’s message given through our pastor align with the message given to me, but then my heart leaped higher still to hear the guys going to Nicaragua explain how the Lord gave them the same message. At the end of the service when the one young man mentioned not understanding Spanish, my ears perked up. Evidently the only part he understood in our Spanish congregation that morning was my English portion. My fragmented Spanish usually fizzles out midway, and I start inserting some English. As much as I’ve wanted to know the whole Spanish vocabulary, here today I was amazed to see my fragments being actually useful. This young man echoed and expounded: “If God calls you to do something, go do it. Even if we don’t understand everything, we’re still supposed to go. The Lord’s grace will be sufficient.” Some of the other guys heading to the airport that afternoon didn’t know Spanish either, yet they felt called by the Lord and were pressing forward to go. I had testified about the Lord leading my husband and me to our Spanish congregation a year and a half ago, though I knew even less of the language then. In the beginning, I didn’t see how the Lord would grow my Spanish for use in the hospital and on the streets. Interestingly, earlier this Sunday morning, I attempted to rehearse my testimony but to no avail. My stomach felt strangely sick when I tried to rehearse, as if the Lord was diverting me from trying to memorize anything. I sensed the testimony was to be a casual conveyance of how the Lord is at work in the midst of our everyday living, always cuing people and places in perfect time. Because the testimony was unrehearsed, my Spanish was certainly fragmented, and the message was accentuated and dispersed for all involved. It was a fresh glimpse of the Lord's orchestration. All the more, I am encouraged to follow Him beyond what I can see. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding,” says Proverbs 3:5.

No comments:

Post a Comment