Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jonah & me

What to study next?  I didn’t know how God would answer.  One Sunday, a friend asked if I planned to attend a Going Beyond conference where Priscilla Shirer would be speaking.  My friend mentioned Priscilla’s name in a way that compelled me to inquire about her Bible studies.  I pulled up the Internet to learn more, and I looked into her books and viewed her teaching style.  Sure enough, my small group has been using her book Jonah.  Though I did not attend the conference, the fact that my friend mentioned it did prompt me to inquire further.  Of the whole realm of topics to study and oodles and oodles of available books, the Lord pointed me to Jonah and this particular writing that fits our unique group. … When we pray, we can be illusioned into thinking we’re tossing up blind requests with no certainty of where they’ll land.  Yet God is not a distant Father.  Unlike that cartoon of lost luggage forever orbiting the earth, our prayers do not float aimlessly.  The Lord receives each one, and He is attentive to our prayer (1 Peter 3:12). 

1 comment:

  1. What if we are haughty, you know, proud? He says that he opposes the proud. What if we are in sin? Does He still hear us when we are these until we repent?

    ReplyDelete